Rich Atkins, Ed.D.
Rich Atkins is the Director of Improving Communications UK, a provider of Learning & Development services such as: Business Writing, Public Speaking, Customer Service, Leadership, Selling Skills & Negotiation, Human Resources, Staff Development, and Speaker Services.
Since 2007, Rich is a member of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). Dr. Atkins is American Management Association (AMA)-certified faculty and is also a Vistage-certified speaker.
Rich also presents frequently on MEDIA TERRORISM™. As a subject matter expert, he has made television appearances, and has been quoted in numerous newspaper and magazine articles. His doctoral dissertation on canine learning styles was the subject of an article titled “One Size Does Not Fit All” in the March 2006 issue of Dog Fancy Magazine.
- “Sargent World Sport Performance Seat: In General, a Major Improvement”. BMW Owners News, August 2012.
- “The K1600LT: A Modern-Day Ace – Jay Leno Interview” (co-authored with Don Argento). BMW Motorcycle Magazine, Spring 2012.
- “Retro Riding With Billy Joel” (co-authored with Don Argento). BMW Motorcycle Magazine, Winter 2011.
- “Piano Mann” – German Translation in Motorrad-Magazin MO May 2012 issue.
- “Billy Joel On Bikes” – British “Translation” in MCN – Motorcycle News 13 June 2012 issue.
- “How to Maximize Human Capital ROI”. HR Professionals Magazine, April 2012.
- “Neil Peart’s Far and Away: A Prize Every Time.” BMW Owners News, October 2011.
- “Gold Coast Motorcycling: Riding the North Shore of Long Island” BMW Owners News, August 2011.
- “Rocker & Roller: Rush Drummer Neil Peart Lives For Motorcycles (Interview).” American Motorcyclist, September 2009 (Includes Bonus Content from AMA Web site).
- “Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket & Pants (Product Review).” BMW Owners News, August 2009;RoadRUNNER, March 2011.
- “There Are Roads & There Are Motorcycle Roads: An Interview With Bill Belei, Founder and Webmaster of Motorcycleroads.com.” BMW Owners News, July 2009.
- “Something New on the (Vertical) Horizon: ‘All Is Said and Done.'” mi2n.com, October 2008.
- “Flexibility Is the Key to Success.” Inside HR/NY, September 2008.
- “The subdude Roads of New England.” BMW Owners News, August 2008, BMWMOA.org, October 2007.
- “Riding California’s Coast & Mountains: A Change of Scenery from Coast to Coast.” BMW Owners News,February 2008.
- “Riding the Perimeter of Virginia.” BMW Owners News, September 2007.
- “The subdudes – Street Symphony (Album Review).” The Music Box, August 2007.
- “Down Time For Musicians? Not Likely: A Candid Conversation with Matt Scannell of
Vertical Horizon.” Bandradio.com, May 2007; Musicdish.com, August 2007.
- “Roadshow: Landscape With Drums: A Concert Tour By Motorcycle (Book Review).” BMW Owners News, March 2007.
- “The Passing Lane, Right?: The Language of Courtesy on the Roads.” BMW Owners News, February 2007.
- “Building Guitars and Riding Motorcycles: An Interview With Michael Tobias.” BMW Owners
News, March 2006.
- “When Dollars and Cents Meet Heart and Soul: The Cost of Dedication in the Music Industry.” Musicdish.com, March 2006.
- “A subdude Album and Tour” (Behind the Levee album review). Swampland.com January/February 2006.
- “Route 28 Through New York’s Adirondacks.” BMW Owners News, December 2005.
- “Motorcycling: The Perennial Gift-An Interview With Neil Peart.” BMW Owners News, April 2005.
- “A subdude Trip Around New York.” BMW Owners News, October 2004.
- “Obedience School Or Private Trainer – What Is Best For Your Dog?: An Analytical Look at Canine Learning Styles.” K-9 Magazine, August 2004.
- “Urban Motorcycling: I Love New York More Than Ever.” BMW Owners News, August 2002.
Dr. Atkins’s other interests include: motorcycling (120K+ miles), cigars, cheese, theater, genealogical research (12 generations of family tree so far…), and music (electric bass guitar and the Chapman Stick Touchboard). His travel destinations have included most of the United States, Mexico, Canada, Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Scotland, France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Greece, and Turkey.
Rich has had many travelogue articles published in BMW Owners News. He has interviewed and written about numerous celebrity personalities including Jay Leno, Billy Joel, Neil Peart, Matt Scannell, Jacob Slichter, Arnold McCuller, Kasim Sulton, Leland Sklar, Tony Levin, Jordan Rudess, Pat Mastelotto, Carl Palmer, and Steve Morse.
Richard J Atkins lives in New York with his wife Patricia, children Ciara and Robert, and their dog, Roxy. The Atkins Family’s first dog, Casey was one of the pets used to provide comfort and solace to survivors at the Family Center for victims of the World Trade Center attack.